Oriire Attack: We’re Ready To Listen To Kidnappers’ Demand – Gov Makinde
Written by News Desk on May 18, 2026
Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State has assured families of abducted pupils, students and teachers in Oriire local government that efforts were ongoing to secure the victims’ safe return.
Speaking at his private residence in Kolapo Ishola Estate, Ibadan in Monday , Governor Makinde disclosed that the state government was prepared to listen to the demands of the abductors if it would help save lives and ensure the safe release of those kidnapped. He, however, stressed that the government would never give in to terrorism.
The Governor confirmed that seven secondary school students, 18 primary school pupils and seven teachers were abducted during the incident. He also revealed that one of the teachers reportedly lost his life in the hands of the kidnappers, describing the development as painful and disturbing.
Makinde said the situation remained difficult and sensitive, noting that security operatives were still carrying out rescue operations in the affected area. He appealed to the media and members of the public to handle information surrounding the incident responsibly because human lives were involved.
To strengthen coordination of rescue efforts, the governor said an operational situation room had been established at the Oyo State Police Command headquarters. According to him, the centre would also serve as a reliable source of verified information for the public as the operation continues.
On security improvement across the state, the governor disclosed that surveillance aircraft procured by the state government had arrived Nigeria and were currently being assembled at the Nigerian Air Force hangar in Lagos. He explained that engineers from China were already working on the aircraft and that they were expected to become operational before the end of June.
Makinde added that the surveillance aircraft were acquired to help monitor border communities between Oyo State, Kwara State and the Republic of Benin in order to improve security. He appealed once again to the abductors to release the victims quickly, saying the government remained committed to protecting lives and restoring peace to the affected communities.